seating strings

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:42:46 +0100

Re: seating strings
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phillip Ford=20
  To: Michael Gamble=20
  Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:56 PM
  Subject: Re: seating strings

    Hello Phillip
    Thanks for your e-mail. I restrung an old Feurich upright some 30 =
years ago. It didn't have agraffes on the bridge though. Unlike those =
Collen Broadwoods which do.
    Regards
    Michael G.(UK)

  The Feurich I'm talking about is a grand.  And it doesn't have =
agraffes on the bridge, just on the plate.  I'll try to find that =
picture.  By the way, what's the difference between a Broadwood and a =
Collen Broadwood?

  Phil Ford

  Hello Phillip and List.
  I thought I'd include the List, knowing 'their' voracious appetite for =
piano history.....
  Reginald Collen was a director of Broadwood in the 1920s. It was he =
who devised a method of manufacturing pianos by a pre-fabrication =
process. The case and action would be manufactured separately and then =
secured together. It was clearly derived from Collen's experience in =
simplifying piano-making for the benefit of the women workers during the =
"Great War" (1914-1918) while the men-folk were out there fighting. The =
process was registered as the Collen-Broadwood Patent, No.267195 in =
March 1927. I culled this information from a very interesting book I =
have on John Broadwood entitled "Broadwood By Appointment" a History by =
David Wainwright, published by Quiller Press, London ISBN 0 907621 10 4. =
It is in hardback and its 360 pages are simply full of name-dropping and =
problems which beset the firm from its earliest experimental beginnings =
in the early 1700s to the 1980s. By the way, the "by Appointment" is, of =
course, to the British Royal Family anecdotes of which feature large =
throughout the book. Includes many photos.
  Regards
  Michael G.(UK)