Not what I signed up for

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:41:14 -0800

Actually, 4:1 octaves in the treble would be wider than 2:1 octaves and
since you mention that the octaves were too wide, that wouldn't help.
The problem with spinets is usually that the temperament octave needs to
be narrower, closer to a 2:1 than a 4:2 in order to get contiguous
thirds from A2 - A4 that work.  The upper bass will usually sound better
as a 4:2 with the lower not wider than a 6:3.  The treble going up will
be best with something compromising a 4:2 and a 2:1 with a slightly
stretched 2:1 at the top.

I think you can get a decent tuning on these pianos if you concentrate
on getting the A2-A4 double octave temperament right.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 7:34 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Not what I signed up for

dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:
Just out of curiosity and as an avid TuneLab Pocket user, what kind of
stretch were you using for that Accrosonic tuning?
6:3 octaves in the bass and 2:1 in the treble...oops, 4:1 in the treble
would been the better option.  I thought I had my default settings set
correctly....:-(  I was a bit rattled by his manner, and didn't pay as
much attention to what I was doing as I should have.  I don't often use
Tunelab to tune the whole piano.  It's usually just to get pitch or
occasionally to help me set the temperament.

Maybe I should go back and retune it...only if the guy doesn't stand
over my shoulder, though....(-:

Everyone, thanks for the input and comiseration.

Humbly,

Dave S.