aint what I signed up for

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:09:34 -0800

Well, now we've got a skilled aural tuner who now uses a ETD and=
 his ear, i.e. he has experience both, and we have you who tune=
 by ear only. (I believe?)   Don't you think you should be=
 investigating the potential of ETDs in improving you tuning?  =
 Maybe you think it can't be improved?

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Richard Brekne
To: Newtonburg
Subject: re: aint what I signed up for

This is where I have to disagree with you my freind. There is no=
 evidence to support the claim that using ETD's (without=
 qualification of how they are used) in general contributes to a=
 positive developement in a tuners skills.  My own experience=
 with the US testing process would indicate to me that there is=
 indeed good cause for concern.

I find this kind of statement made often by ETD enthusiasts who=
 are very good aural tuners, and the reasons they give are=
 reasons I can most certainly accept, yet in most cases they do=
 not seem to relate to the person who never has learned these=
 skills to the same degree... nor the person who so heavily=
 relies on ETD's that years go by since the last time they=
 actually practiced their aural skills.

This, I think, is a valid concern... and until it is shown=
 conclusively to be false... I am forced to continue to position=
 myself behind it.

All this said.... I really rather think the only real significant=
 difference between your view and my own, is how we go about=
 stating them.  I notice by your closing statement, you too=
 underline the need to be able to oversee the ETD.  The central=
 point to my position.

Cheers
RicB

And the beauty of it all, meaning : having tuned aurally AND=
 having
tuned Machinically, is thatt when the battery is empty, I=
 happily
continue tuning with da pinkies.
And tuning with a good machine does not make us numb or dumb, it=
 makes
us sharp and keen.

I do not and shall never rely on an ETD only.
I have proved this to myself and to others.
I done an aural tuning test over and over till I dropped.

Capisce encora?

((; <>;))