Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Arnold Duin aduin@euronet.nl
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:10:08 +0100

Richard mijn jongen

Thanks for the compliment and blowing my cover
(you already know that I don't like you  that much
:))

I can see that it is somewhat confusing but I am
only referring to the fact that the name K  isn't
mentioned as such in Fenner 's book.
Steingraeber and Fenner  employ different crowning
methods at least in the way of  the total amount
of crown and where to put the highest point of the
soundboard. The both use the cc method for their
boards. When you talk to Udo Steingraeber he will
emphasize that his company is not constructing the
board the Fenner-way but uses a different
approach. How that approach is in detail I don't
know but I know they achieved good results. Now
about the Fenner approach, at least as I perceive
the method he describes is his book.
Fenner is (was) an advocate for using stress in
the board as an effective possibility to change
the different frequencies in the various areas of
the board to get a better match with the string
frequencies. The goal is to achieve an uneven
stress in the board more towards the treble and
less towards the bas. He is also talking about the
bending stress along  the grain which is a
effective way to raise the frequency analogous to
a singing saw. Fenner constructs his boards
following this principle and doesn't want a
uniform crown but an uneven crown with more stress
with a highest point shifted to the treble. In his
book he explains how to do achieve this and
calculate the radii for the ribs etc. which are
used for the board and the mould.
To help achieving a shift in frequency bending the
board along the grain will not help that much so
he is compressing the board in  that direction.
One possibility is (before gluing)to lift he board
at the highest point with a  block temporary fixed
to the braces about max. 2 times the expected
crown and then fix the board to the rim. After
gluing the block is removed and the board will
have some extra compression. Or you can combine it
with pressing  the board into the cavity of the
outer rim which is more easily done before fixing
the bridge to the board. Extra compression along
the grain can also be achieved by gluing the long
bridge (straight not curved) after the board is
glued in. Yet another approach is to glue a
heavily dried (cooked) bridge on the board first,
before gluing the ribs to achieve a crown and add
some extra stress.
So much for now

This  time a friendly salute

Arnold