Cal State Conv-Dale Erwins 'D'

Fenton Murray fmurray@cruzio.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:39:23 -0800

The concert Saturday afternoon at the Cal State Conference was like =
nothing
I can remember. Maybe I need to get out more. Richard Glazier playing a =
'28
S&S D restored by Dale Erwin with a new board. Just the piano and =
artist, no
amplification, no other instruments or vocals. The piano filled the
auditorium  beautifully as it was designed to do. I think I had =
forgotten
the power that a piano can have. I'm so proud to know Dale and to be =
able to
call myself his student.

I played the piano before the concert, I've also played it at Dale's =
shop.
All different rooms, each giving the piano a different sound. The piano =
is a
joy to play, so easy. In the auditorium 30 feet out it was a completely
different instrument again, sounding as it should, in it's role of =
filling
an auditorium. The bass had a beautiful growl to it and all registers =
were
well balanced. The killer octave sounded like I think it should. Voicing =
was right down the middle.=20

 More important the artist was able to completely meld with
the piano. No action saturation, no distortion, absolute power, striking =
the
keys from 3 feet above them,  down to beautiful melodic passages that =
went
straight to the back of the hall. My only complaint was that it was on =
those
leg dollies which made the pedals to high. Not that my back was up to
replacing casters.

Hat's off to you, Dale. Your 'D' was the star of the show.

On another note it was great to see Fern Henry at the Spurlock booth. I
bought her book and can not put it down!

Fenton Murray, RPT