"Fish"....my best guess...

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:31:39 -0500

Vladan wrote:

> When the pulse from the string hits the bridge and
> therefore the soundboard, it travels in the board
> until it gets to a place on the board that no longer
> can move because it's attached to the rim or something
> hard.  There, the pulse reflects and part of it
> travels back towards the bridge.  If you do it right,
> that returning wave reinforces a later pulse that is
> just entering the board at the bridge.  Obviously,
> that distance and the time required for the round trip
> is a function of the frequency, so the fish has to
> progressively move away from the bridge as the
> frequency gets lower.

What do you base this on? Does anyone know the origin of this kind of =
thinking?

Not even Steinway marketing would agree with this:

"... the equally erroneous theory that sound "vibrations" in some way =
travel transversely across the soundboard. But, as has been shown here, =
the movement of the board is that of the movement of the strings, up and =
down in the case of a grand, backward and forward in the case of a piano =
of vertical construction."

Hold onto your hats: I agree with Steinway!

Terry Farrell