Was Fish, I see no further utility in the list.

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:20:01 -0500

Was Fish, I see no further utility in the list.Awe mannnnn......you are =
one of the few posters that I read no matter what.  Off topic, on =
topic...who cares I'll read your posts every time.  And, I learn =
something from most of your posts.  Sorry to say this, but, I'm really =
pissed.  I'll miss you. =20

Humbled by your presence
Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Overs Pianos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:46 PM
  Subject: Was Fish, I see no further utility in the list.

  Its Ron Overs here,

  Mr Brekne wrote:

    Yes Ron, actually my words do encourage one and all  (misguided or =
not) to explore the world of piano sound to the fullest.

  The above remark was in reply to me, Ron Overs, not Ron Nossaman.

  I don't accept your spin!  Your words certainly don't encourage me to =
do anything, apart from getting my 'blood up'. But I have no doubt that =
this will give you some degree of satisfaction.

  Yesterday, I concluded a post with the following.

    Knowledge in our discipline is expanding all the time. We are living =
at a time when 300 years of combined thinking has resulted in what we =
have come to know as the modern piano. It is essential that this =
thinking and evolution should be allowed to continue. Further progress =
remains possible as long as we don't let the politics of the =
currently-successful ones get in the way. We must always endeavour to =
work out what is a worthwhile design feature, and what might be a dead =
end idea. The black art of piano design is fascinating, and there =
remains an ocean of improvements waiting to be found. As with the =
evolution of species, many subspecies will come and go like the Dodo. =
Not all will be bad ideas, and some may be worthy of resurrection. But =
new Dodos will come along as well. We must use our judgement to =
establish what we believe to be the best combination of established =
practice, past practice and future possibilities. Getting the three =
together in the best proportion, when building a new instrument, can be =
somewhat akin to jumping off a cliff in the hope that there is a soft =
landing at the bottom, and not just rocks.

    You also have to contend with a multitude of 'technical' opinion, =
which sometimes hasn't even been down the 'thinking road' you have =
taken. So often this chorus will discount the new idea just because it =
is different and 'not the way' their favourite manufacturer does it. It =
doesn't necessarily mean that the new idea hasn't got merit, but you =
have to somehow carry on through the 'thunderstorm' of disbelief which =
surrounds you.

  In the last paragraph, from yesterday's post (above), my reference to =
'technical opinion' referred in particular to that of Richard Brekne, =
who likes to put out his 'Mr nice guy' spin on the surface, while he =
calls into question the work of any who might dare to work towards a =
'better mouse-trap'. Maybe Terry Farrell or Dale Erwin will be his next =
target (although I think he's already done Dale once before - and I know =
that Ron N's had a little taste and Del's gone).

  Unfortunately, I believe that the pianotech list has become for me a =
waste of time and effort. In this instance, I am failing to carry on =
through the 'thunderstorm' of disbelief.

  Some of us have foregone so much income opportunity to the further =
study of the instrument, and I sometimes wonder why, since it doesn't =
seem to be appreciated? As we all know, certain people were much smarter =
back in 1900.

  I am beginning to understand why Del has given this list a wide berth =
in recent times. A worthy contributor has gone missing thanks in part to =
the background noise that keeps coming from Brekne, who's banter never =
lets up.

  A large number of Pianotech subscribers have made worthy contributions =
over the few years that I have taken part. Thank you for your =
generosity.

  I'm getting out of here for a while.
  Feb 20, 2005
  Ron Overs.