One more tuning question...

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:20:29 -0800

It does seem to me if you are having those big seasonal swings=
 your pianos need a damp-chaser...?  I don't have that problem=
 here in the Bay Area...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Richard Oliver Snelson
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: One more tuning question...

Julia,
I would ask you this question. Let's assume you end your tuning=
 with the piano on A=3D440. Tomorrow the weather changes a bit and=
 the humidity goes up. Where is you tuning at the end of the day=
 or the third day after you tuned? If you are aware of season=
 changes and how they will affect the piano it is only good=
 practice in my opinion to "float" the pitch in some cases. For=
 example leave it slightly low if you know it's going to go sharp=
 in a few weeks. Over all the customer ends up with a piano=
 that's closer to A=3D440 for a longer time. I'm sure there maybe a=
 few customers, performers, even tuners, that can tell the piano=
 is not A=3D440, most can not without a fork, tone, ETD. I weekly=
 find fine artists  playing with a 20 cent flat or sharp piano=
 and not having the least idea it sharp or flat. There is no=
 reason you can't explain what you are doing to the customer and=
 why it will keep the piano closer to 440.
The pianos that I tune on a two month basis I will end the=
 tunings at A=3D440 during the same season.  Unless I'm tuning just=
 before the heat come on or summer and the air is about to start,=
 then I will think of allowing a small amount of pitch "Float". =
 Rich