Pictures of Intereting Sound board designs (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:07:52 EST

List
  Just sharing some interesting stuff. What I'm finding out over time
is that the pianos I like the sound of most for their sustain ,power &
overall clarity are those that have taller than wide ribs & many.
Enclosed are the picture of a samll Elburn 45"upright. It sounds
amazing . If I was to build a small piano I'd copy this design. It's
WAY better than 95% of those  I hear. It Has 11 ribs & a funky little
bridge patch for two tenor wrapped strings. The break is good.
   Hey Stwy ms have ten ribs Stwy A-3' Have 12 Also the ribs are not
perpendicular to the panel grain.
  I love Ludwigs. Great pianos. The Big Fat 1905 victorian Ludwig in
the ornate case blew me away with the first note. Sustain to spare .It
has 12  Taller ribs  & nice cutoff bars. One can almost imagine a
teardrop shape
     The other was a piano the owner said was to good to junk. An
Emerson cut down & garden -ized. Still Interesting sound with strange
grain angle & rib config. But taller ribs and many. Panel grain
opposite of normal. The Last is a Stwy Long A in the redisign process.
I added one more rib in the treble & fanned the treble ribs to be more
perpendicular to the Bridge.
  The nice part about this is that there is a rib every 6 unison
patches & 3 ribs under the killer octave instead of 2. I'm planning to
have the A in Kansas City in June or My D. Maybe both.
  Terry Farrel made me the beautiful Cut off bar for this job. Thanks
Terry.
  Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.