More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:33:30 EST

Other interesting tid bits in the rest of the  post  as well.
    Dale

Hello Dale,
Congratulations on the  reception received for your piano there in
Sacramento.  I hope sometime I  may be able to hear it myself.  I am not the least bit
surprised to hear  that your piano has had such a wonderful reception.  I have
just  now waded through three or four hundred emails but want to make a few
comments  interposed below.  Some will be about your piano and some regarding
Ron  O's frustrated post.  I certainly hope, if he is reading this, that he
will reconsider any departure as he is a most valuable contributor to this  list,
along with the other members of the group of  "redesigners'.    Still, this
does smack somewhat, at least, as  far as I can see,  of "see it my way or I am
going to take my marbles and  go home."   I think we all have this impulse
when deeply held beliefs are  challenged, which is perfectly natural, but we
should try to overcome such as  it is really, in the contention of ideas and
examination of the possibilities  that rapid progress may well lie.

_Erwinspiano@aol.com_ (mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com)  wrote:

David wrote

I  think there are those who when put to a rebuilding request by  a
customer need to try and recreate a "Steinway sound" but might wish  to
employ what has been represented as a more reliable method than  CC.  But
if the RC&S method produces its own unique  characteristics and is, as
you say, something which certainly didn't  sound like a Steinway, then it
would be good to know whether those  differences are inherent in the
differences between the two methods or  simply a matter of customizing a
particular design.
 Hi Dave
  >> I've been following this thread in my post  convention fatigue.
   I'd like to speak to this. I build rib  crowned boards with some panel
compression support as well.  These typically have slightly taller ribs & less
wide than the  original.
  I also have some compression in the panel. I  typically dry to no less than
5.5% emc & no more than 6%.
  I like this range for the results I'm getting &  regional climate
conditions. It's not excessive by any means . I believe for  my ears I like the sounds
of designs that retain some  compression. I Use sitka spruce panels, which
Steinway does  & some diaphramizing which they also do. The panels are  similar
in thickness but on the thinner side. I press in a dished  caul as they do. I
use the same scales with  minor alterations. & Yes I like the tri-chord sound
in  Ds.
   I use primarily white Spruce ribs on the  bottom and sometimes some Sitka
in the top treble(s) ie. Bs & Ds. Which  they Don't.  I no longer use sugar
pine except in some instances or in  smaller pianos. Which they still do in ALL
models. I can hear the difference between a board ribbed with sugar  pine &
one with spruce.
  I market what I call a "variable radius soundboard"  crown which means the
ribs are cut with increasingly steeper radius  going into the treble & many
folks  on this list & off do  this. Most of this is not news & many use  this.
  My point is that all our bellied  pianos  sound to me like some of the best
Steinways  I've heard even though they are built in this non traditional
way. I have fewer Killer octave problems & better balance of registers  or as
good as the very best C.C. design at least . This point is the same as  what
others are saying ,The methods are most reliable &  predictable.
  My point is,finally. To me These  pianos aren't some derivation of the
Steinway sound but the best  qualities of the Steinway sound. Great sustain,even
thru the breaks  & treble areas, rich tone color, & power which isn't driven to
 distortion & FFF levels.

This is very nice  to hear and, personally,  judging from your comments made
over the years  regarding sound I have always  had the expectation that your
pianos would  sound great and am not at all surprised to see such results
obtained as I said  above.    I have similar, although perhaps slightly differing,
expectations for the others in the redesigner crowd, some contributing here
regularly and some not.
However, generally it  has not been you urging the view that  anything but
the latest creation  of some design methodology was the only acceptable result
out there, but such  a view has been urged carrying with it the not too subtle,
insidious,  implication that people elsewhere were poor, deceived fools, for
liking what  they like.  Some have, and at one time this list blatantly
operated this  way which was most unfortunate, in my opinion.    I am well  aware of
the sacrifice of time, hence money and the draining emotional strain
involved in moving contrarily to established norms, for example, the Steinway  or
Yamaha juggernaut, and respect this, and, also, very much  the  efforts, as I
have always said, of those trying to produce pianos differing in  various ways.
Why would they try to produce anything but the best product  they could
achieve given the circumstances?  All know this must be the  case.   Yet with any
contrary view one is always disheartened by what  seems to be a kind of
badgering and supercilious dismissal of any other  perspective  on the part of some
of this group, not necessarily you,  especially when this seems to be
associated with events which, in one's own  experience, are different, for example the
public appreciation for Steinway,  whether warranted or not,  which has just
been the immediate source of  another dustup here on the list.
I  find it pointless to argue back and forth on some dispute, especially, as
I  once tried on a certain set of principles, at the cost of a considerable
waste  of time and productive energy, as it is not likely any minds will be
changed  here.  As I have said before, here are only words and the experience of
hearing or playing a particular instrument is likely to be the only way that
individual minds will undergo suasion one way or the other.   So,
congratulations again, on your results.
Even  though he has been upbraided by a number of posters for what some would
call  such bantering,   I think Richard Brekne makes a valid point.  It  does
take two to tango.  One can't, or at least shouldn't, dismiss away  relevant
facts, even if inconvenient  and the status of Steinway is by no  means simply
the result only of marketing PR.
Many  times I disagree with the bases of some claims made by some of the
redesigner  crowd:  in my opinion, they  could proceed possibly more expediously
if they would get, for example, some of the underlying physics and history
straight, at least from my point of  view, and from that of, perhaps,  others.
Still I certainly respect the efforts that come from this school  of thought
wholeheartedly.   The latest discussion on simple wave  theory, to take but one
instance,  is another, among the many, examples  of the facts of some of the
most elemental, fundamental aspects of physics  seemingly disregarded,
misunderstood, or,  unknown.   How can  it be expected then to be otherwise than that
substantial contention would  then  flow from such types of things?
I live in an  area and, a city particularly,  overrun by trembling, vaunting
culture  snobs who buy their "culture" in the "Cultural District", who are
frequent  attendees at the very numerous  musical concerts and who are completely
 taken in by the Steinway mystique.  Here, as elsewhere, at concerts in  most
venues, they listen frequently to instruments at the same time both  clangy,
dull and uneven,  no doubt inferior to the same instrument had it  employed
even the simple remedy of using a merely adequate hammer, and stumble  over
themselves to scream and applaud after each recital. Yet, underneath  these
defects, especially from seats in the hall, there is still a great  sound, or at
least musically acceptable one, although certainly capable of  much improvement
in my mind.  I think Richards point was that it is this,  as well as the PR
hype, they respond to and to deny this, in my mind, is to  miscontrue the
obvious.
Nevertheless, to  chronically lay at the feet of the substantial marketing
bull and PR machine  of this company the onus of impeding the development of the
industry, and  attributing "stagnation" to it, is not factual, in my opinion.
 If  anything, it should be attributed to the ignorance and superficiality of
the  consumer.  However, they may just like the sound, as do I on most of
these intruments.  This is not to say it cannot be better.  I have  no doubt it
could and, indeed, has been.

I have no problem or difficulty selling my clients  on these modern features.
When they hear it they get it. NO client has ever  said no I don't want you
to do that & none ever said it didn't sound  like a Steinway.
 Ask any one who heard My D (at the PTG Cal State)  last weekend if they
heard a Steinway Sound. Or the Concert artist who  performed Gershwin ,who stopped
before the finale of Rhapsody in blue To  State what an Amazing piano this
was & because of it he was performing  his uncut version. It was a great
experience for me personally & I  was gratified to have many enthusiastic words of
support from some other  rebuilders, Technicians & friends.
    I thank them all with mutual  respect & support
   Dale Erwin

Once again, I want to say how I  appreciate these kinds of posts, coming, as
I said once before, from the voice  of experience and giving us the benefit of
it, as does Ron O, with his very  insightful posts on a generality of
subjects and, particularly, the  wonderfully innovative, I-rib soundboard he has
produced.   Similar  kudos to Ron N,  Dell Fandrich and Terry Falwell for their
efforts but we  (meaning the non-redesigner crowd) still have to reserve the
right to express  our own opinions, even if arising from different experiences
and  perspectives.
Regards, Robin Hufford
think Sarah pointed out what  might be some

considerations in those differences.  I can't address those  issues with
any real knowledge as I am not an engineer and lack  adequate experience.
But I can hear differences between different types  of pianos and I am
interested in exploring the topic further even if it  is only in a
speculative manner.

David Love
_davidlovepianos@comcast.net_ (mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net)

Erwins  Pianos Restorations