Flange Rebushing

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:39:43 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0063_01C51D60.492B2F40
Well, I think I just answered my own question. I found a real nice =
rebushing procedure by Bill Spurlock on the RennerUSA web site: =
http://www.rennerusa.com/PDF/flange_bushing.pdf

I think I can combine the Rappaport and Spurlock techniques to come up =
with what I likely saw in Joel's class. I suspect that after inserting =
the cloth in flanges in a daisy-chain way, the flanges are cut apart and =
then restrung on the long wire for the cloth to dry and size to the pin.

Thanks for the input.

Terry Farrell

  Thanks John and Keith. I have that Renner tool (also available from =
the Mother!) and use it to size my bushing cloth. I attended a repinning =
class given by Joel Rappaport a few years ago at one of the conventions. =
He addressed the wonders of the long Renner center pin wires. I have the =
handout and my notes, but nowhere in there does it say anything about =
any clever way to use the long wires during the bushing cloth =
installation process. I thought I remembered him daisy-chaining the =
whole bunch together in one shot, but maybe not. Anyone use the long =
wires?

  Terry Farrell

    John M. Ross   Flange Bush Cloth Calibration Tool - 1855=20
          This handy tool sizes bushing cloth prior to installation. =20

          I find this tool from Renner to be=20
          a good help.=20

    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

      First get your bushing cloth ripped to the right width. If it =
keeps breaking when you pull it through or it's too easy to pull, these =
are your indicators. Trim the cloth to a long point and I use my needle =
nose pliers to grab the cloth the roll them against the flange to pull =
very evenly. Only a small amount comes through with each roll of the =
pliers. Feed it through the other side of the flange and keep pulling =
through until you have enough cloth to grab it with your hand and pull =
it all the way to almost the end. A SMALL dab of glue and pull the cloth =
on in cut it off long and jam a #20 pin in and let dry.  Use a tack like =
the ones used to hang the damp chaser rod, it's .050" or a #20 and the =
sharp tip makes it easy to slide in. When the glue dries, trim the =
excess felt off and assemble the flange with the right pin and size the =
bushing to the pin with  30% water/ alcohol. When it dries it's the =
right fit. Don't force dry it.=20

      If you need them to work now. Ream a size smaller than the pin you =
are using, put the pin in and heat the tip with a lighter, 7 count. Work =
the flange, Burnishes it.=20

      Keith Roberts

        Got a question regarding rebushing action centers - I have done =
only very little of this. Is it best to install the cloth and then ream =
and pin, or is it a good thing to install the cloth and insert a pin at =
the same time to size the bushing? Seems like I need to stipulate a =
whole bunch more particulars, but that is the essential question.

        Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_0063_01C51D60.492B2F40
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_0063_01C51D60.492B2F40--