Redesigning Mason Hamlin A?

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:38:57 -0400

Hi Del -
I was about to do just that, contact you, that is.  I'm not sure why I went
to list posting after my somewhat extensive communication with Terry
Farrell.  I must have thought that there are a whole bunch of people out
there who are doing this.  Anyway, here's my situation.  I've never done my
own rebuilding.  I've never had the space, and my experience just didn't
land that way.  Even at Manhattan School of Music, the facilities were not
adequate then. Currently,  I'm using/working with someone local (Yonkers,
Westchester) who's work has been pretty good and getting better.  He seems
to be willing to respond when I am critical.  He is receptive to trying new
things, but he is, first of all, a businessman, with a shop and staff to
keep working.

Struggling to keep up with the discussions over the recent years, I seem to
have some idea of at least some of the design issues, without acquiring the
hands-on experience. I have a Mason A in his shop now.  I'm trying to
determine what I can do along the lines of the redesigning you do, without
losing money.  The other question is whether whatever is involved is within
the skills and structure of this shop.

Terry sent me a good many pictures and described the services he
offers.  At that point I was thinking in terms of a Steinway M, until this
Mason A came along.

So, maybe you could explain, from your angle, how I might use your
services.  This shop is currently installing Bolduc soundboards, using CC
methods, though, it occurs to me that I haven't actually observed their
humidity controls.

Tell me what you can, or what information I'd need to give you.  I want to
get this off to you, but I will take time to read through the information
on your web site, which may fill in many of my questions.

Thanks much & regards -

David Skolnik