Piano wire tensile strength

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:45:42 EDT

Hi Paul
    The strings I'm referring to that required what I would  call excessive
twisting (2-3 turns ) had problems from the get go /  manufacturing. An they
did develop false beats after a season  or less even though they sounded good
initially after twisted too much.  IMO
   Paul

my experiece with this much twisting always ends up in false  beats. I only
do this when I have a particularly dead string the won't sing  at 1 or 2 twist
&stretched for a week or two. Then in desperation  &nother twist or so. If it
comes up great but later I find them  false.

     Dale

Dale (and Del):

One thing I  do know is that it is positively not necessary to twist bass
strings more than  1 full turn to give them maximum stability (tight coils). Any
half turn is  going to bend the wire back on itself at the bridge pins and
cause problems  down the line. I also think that what Del reported and what I
have heard about  factory work is just that: factory work--a little is good, so
more is better.

Paul R-J