A real puzzler: Dead strings in "BB" M and H

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 4 May 2005 09:13:26 EDT

Thanks Marcel, Ed, and Wayne for your suggestions.  See comments
interspersed below.

mcpiano@videotron.ca writes:

Dave,

I've had this feeling on a few pianos only  to find out that my temperament
strip was getting old and there were tiny  little pieces of felts that were
touching the middle strings when I was tuning  the temperament.  Could this be
the case?

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

Marcel,

This was happening with no mute, no damper interference, or any kind of
blockage of the string whatsoever.

<< I seated and lifted strings, and attempted to get clean  termination
points,
all to no avail.   There seems to be  adequate downbearing, and odds are,
negative or  inadequate
downbearing would affect all the strings of a unison,  no?>>

<<This sounds like a notching problem.  You may  need to pull a notes strings
out of the way pull the pins, renotch this  note, and reinstall  the pins
with CA
before stringing it back  up.
Is this much work justified by the rest of the  piano's condition?  Every
situation is different.
Good  luck,

Ed Foote>>

Ed,

This makes sense to me.  And yes, since the piano is a new Mason  BB--still
under warranty--it would be well worth the effort.   I'll certainly contact
Mason and Hamlin before proceeding with any sort of fix  this involved.

Thanks

<<Try tapping the bridge pins in a bit with a  punch, you be surprise of the
difference.>>

Wayne Walker

Wayne,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll probably try this  one before doing anything
more drastic.

Dave  Stahl