reminders

Brad Smith staff@smithpiano.com
Thu, 5 May 2005 18:25:06 -0400

This may sound weird, but I have never called people to remind them, in over
25yrs of tuning.  I'd rather be returning calls from already interested
customers.
A good friend of mine said: "You can't be afraid to lose something that you
don't have in the first place".  If they don't want to tune every six
months, they won't.
Take them at their pace, sell them a slice of pizza instead of the whole
pie, and guide your business in the direction you wish by controlling the
things YOU do, not them.
If they wait for every leap year to tune the piano, you can charge
accordingly for the extra work involved.
I know a tech who prefers annual tuning....!!  Blew me away when he told me
that.  He charges a higher rate for annual service, and the extra work still
fits into a typical appointment slot.   Making more money per appointment is
his key.

Proactive efforts are best put into networking, meeting teachers, helping
out a good dealer, doing clinics, speaking at musical events, sending
focused letters to piano teachers, gaining new & marketable skills, being
willing to drive further initially, networking with other techs who are
filtering out crappy pianos from their lists...etc.

What do you say, then?
At the end of a tuning, at the door...when they ask when should they have it
done again...I say:
"You should do it every six months, and I do have some people who do it only
once a year, depends on how 'out of tune' you can stand it"
Ideally, your piano will stay in better shape if I see it more often.  In
fact, I have several people who do it quarterly."
They nod....then I say....
"I do try to send postcards every six months to keep in touch, but I don't
call you unless you call me.  That way I'm not bugging you....
You don't have to wait for six months...you can call anytime".

(And now I just tell them to go online and book an appointment.  That's also
the point of my postcard.  I'd rather they just book online, instead of
creating homework phone calls for me to return).

I do not try to keep every customer.  It is a constant process of profiling
and sorting, as someone else mentioned.
I love them all, and encourage them all to have their pianos refined to the
extent of their musical wishes and needs.
But, I'm constantly measuring the value of a customer against my business
needs.   I want to tune for people who fit my criteria, not people who
I've managed to 'talk' into having their piano tuned.   Over time, you build
a list that is of a different quality.

These actions produce a psychological posture that says that I don't NEED
any one particular client.  And, it allows you to charge more realistically.
It creates an attraction, that makes people seek you out, rather than have
to filter you out.  They know I'm busy, and not waiting around for them.

Many techs proactively call customers, and I'm not against it.  If you don't
have enough appointments yet, you probably do need to do it to some degree.
There are some basic moves that can improve the experience for both you and
the customer.  Always do things to show respect for their time and money.
Ask if you've caught them at a bad time, give them the option to NOT have
this conversation, and they'll be more likely to have it.

Don't assume that more information creates understanding.
Building trust through showing respect, makes them feel understood.  Then
they can understand you.
You never lose by showing respect for them and 'allowing' them to be treated
they way they wish.

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com