voicing hammers

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sun, 15 May 2005 22:22:41 +0200

Thanks Joe for your reply,

In fact, I was asking this question in the case of a concert =
preparation.
What would one do in such situation?
You can't ruin your own piano hammers with hardener just for one pianist =
who keeps complaining, but on the other hand, if the pianist is unhappy, =
maybe you can have problems with him and the direction of the concert =
hall.
I tune for small concerts in my town area (as I work for a big shop with =
a good concert service), the main concert halls are serviced by my boss, =
and I have to get my education in smaller places, with smaller pianos, =
and smaller "gifted" pianists, but it is a good start for me.

Avery wrote:
"Ping Pong balls??????? Never heard of that before!"

I swear that's what I've heard, Avery !!!=20
I've never used the plastic keytop-acetone mix, but the principle =
remains the same. I think the ping pong balls are made of celluloid, =
this must make the difference between this hardening composition and the =
plastic keytop with acetone mixture.

I sometimes used collodion, like Andre's suggestion. I have one bottle =
in my toolcase. I learned this on a factory tour and training at the =
Seiler factory, in Germany, more than 3 years ago. Actually, I was a bit =
too "young" in the profession to get all the benefits of this factory =
visit. I would love to do it again right now.
At that time, I was not such a "learning sponge" and I was technically =
not ready ;-)
I will give the ping pong with acetone mixture a try, but I have to find =
the ideal "victim". I have in mind one old Young Chang upright that went =
back from one of our clients in our workshop, and that has been needled =
to much by another technician.
This could be interesting for a first attempt.

Have a good Sunday afternoon (as it is 22.00 Pm here in France).

Quentin