Damper pitman

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 14:27:37 -0700

So it's you who did that!   ;-]   The problem, imho, with the=
 center pin/nail is you still have the top/bottom of the pitman=
 moving slightly against the lever & tray and potential noise. =
 The 1/2" dowel with a 3/4 inch punching glued to each end and=
 fitting into a 3/4 inch recess (forstner bit) eliminates that=
 remaining friction.   The hole in the keybed is is about a 1=
 inch hole (forstner bit again).   The archives has lots of stuff=
 on this...

David I.

Original message
From: Barbara Richmond
To: Pianotech
Subject: Damper pitman

Hi list,

If you ever want to find out how much changes in the field of=
 piano technology, just take a nice long leave.  When you come=
 back you will find that some things which were very=
 "fashionable" have gone by the wayside, or worse, find out that=
 a one time favored method or whatever is actually considered=
 harmful.  (Sort of makes me think of a very funny scene in Woody=
 Allen's film, Sleeper.)

Anyway, speaking of damper systems and trapwork--when I first=
 started in the business, I was told by John Ford (!), to remove=
 the pitman, drill a little hole in the end to insert a center=
 pin (a small bit of the sharp side protruding).  This would keep=
 the pitman in place and eliminate noise.  Since I've come back=
 to work, I've read that folks make the hole in the keybed=
 larger.  So, is it a toss up, or did I horribly damage all those=
 pianos where I inserted the center pin?

Anxiously awaiting enlightenment!    :-)

Barbara Richmond