What's the Latest Buzz?

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 19 May 2005 22:40:38 -0500

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

My name's Aweekago Friday. I'm a tuner.

I work in the city (tiny). I'm just interested in the facts, Ma'am...

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

2:14 PM

Scene of the crime: 4-year-old Baldwin 243 H studio

Complainants: U.S. Army soldiers attending various services, Central Iowa Chapel, Fort Leonard Wood (Fort Lost-in-the-Woods), Missouri

Complaint: Loud, unpleasant rattling, buzzing sound when played.

Victim: Bass string E1.

Sounds like his death rattle. We're losing him, Joe,  ...

Dum, de, dum, dum ...

Who's Joe?

Suspect #1:  Some part of DC system or another object touching string.

2:17 PM

Investigation clears this suspect.

Suspect #2: A Copper named "Winding" gone bad. Hate to see that.

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

2:20 PM

Squeezed the suspect hard; gave him a full twist; pinned him down; cranked up the tension.  Hoped he'd sing.

He didn't.

2:22 PM

Case has me rattled.

String sounds just fine until you get within about 20 cents of pitch. Then it goes nuts.

I agree Ma'am, that is weird. Just give me the facts...

2:23 PM

Removed all the tension; let him off the hook; made plans to send him to Mapes Morgue.

2:24 PM

Thought twice about it; called my string maker; he can make one from factory specs, we can leave the victim at the scene. It's a rotting thing to do, but ...

2:25 PM

Ordered new string; reinstalled the old string so there'd by some kind of noise at E1.

2:27 PM

Brought string up to pitch. Sounds just fine! Sounds just dandy! No problems at all...

Huh?

There are some cases we never close the book on. Cases that leave you scratching your head. This has been one of them.

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

2:27 PM

Still scratching my head ...

I'm a tuner. It's what I do.

Yes Ma'am, it's a weird business, sometimes ...

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

Dum, de, dum, dum ....

(Insert Commercial Here)

Alan Barnard
The Strange Head-Scratchin' Silly Sleuth from Salem, MO