"Why don't you try that and report back?"

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 08:30:15 -0500

Well, I did try a couple of things and here's my report:

1.  Does CA on the tuning pins interfere with rebuilding the piano?  Yes, in small/almost trivial ways.  To separate the plate from the pinblock, leave a couple of pinblock screws in place, but loosened so the heads are maybe 1/8" above the plate.  They should be near the flange, and near the midrange (in other words, far from the stretcher and rim).  Whack them with a mallet.   To remove the plate bushings from the plate, use a power drill with a bit that just clears the holes in the plate.  Before fitting the new pinblock, use your disk sander to grind the cured CA off of the plate.  LIke I said, a minor annoyance, but hardly worth worrying about.

2.  Can old keyleads be re-used (without melting and recasting?)  You bet.  I found that I didn't have to pass them through my dowel-sizing die, they fit into a newly drilled 1/2" hole just fine.  My swaging setup includes a domed anvil so I get expansion on both ends of the lead.  They seem to be tight enough.  Do I have to watch them for 50 years or so to see if they loosen prematurely?

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net