WAIT! NO! - RE: When your day goes in the toilet

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 23:47:25 -0400

MessageHi Geoff,

Your luck has apparently been worse than mine.  ;-)  Yes, when water =
with any ionic content hits a board, you have gizillions of tiny "soft" =
shorts, as you suggest, and that's usually enough to thoroughly confuse =
any logic circuitry.  However, if there aren't any static sensitive =
circuits mixed in with high voltage circuits, the device will usually =
only experience "brain drain" and won't get zapped.

About the hard drive, I remember the bad ol' days of hard drives -- back =
in the MFM and RLL days  (Might Function Minimally and Run Life =
Limited).  I often received a desperate phone call from a fellow grad =
student, wanting me to render aid after a hard drive crash.  I would =
always tell the person to shut down the hard drive RIGHT NOW and not to =
run it again until I could get there.  The drive would frequently be =
making dragging and scraping noises.  Even so, I could still recover a =
large chunk of the data.  The drive was only good for perhaps an hour or =
so of runtime after making noise, and the failure was progressive.  I =
would always autopsy the hard drive afterwards and find tons of debris =
in it.  Modern hard drives don't crash quite so brilliantly as the old =
ones, but I remember recently replacing a 30GB drive in a friends =
laptop.  There was not data loss, but the drive was definitely making =
noise, hence my recommendation to back up the data NOW and to order in a =
replacement drive.  She used the drive for another couple of days while =
the new drive was on order.  It never went "down" but continued to make =
dragging noises (perhaps from a munched head on an unused platter).

The lesson from all of this is that a hard drive can indeed run with =
dust, debris, etc. inside.  In fact there is an internal filter that =
catches debris as it is generated during deterioration of the internal =
works.  However, when debris is afoot, the drive's life expectancy is =
VERY limited.  I'm not saying that there should ever be any reason to =
break the seal on a hard drive.  But just the same, if it's necessary, =
it can be done.  Just not for long -- just long enough to pull off the =
data.

Having said this, my suggestion was merely to bleed distilled water in =
and out of the hard drive through the filtered ventillation port to =
rinse out the fluids from the inside.  I know this sounds awful, but the =
water can all be boiled off at room temperature in a complete vacuum.  =
There are lots of people with vacuum pumps, including automotive air =
conditioning service companies and high school physics teachers.  ;-)  =
Alternatively, take the top off of the platter housing, rinse, and dry.  =
Then run the thing open, long enough to recover all the data.  Believe =
it or not, I've run dying hard drives open before, just to see them =
work.  They could function that way.  This would probably be the =
approach I'd take if my HD took a dunk in the toilet.

But then again, THESE THINGS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY QUALIFIED, =
PROFESSIONAL DATA RECOVERY PERSONNEL!!!  (My disclaimer.)

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20