WAIT! NO! - RE: When your day goes in the toilet

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 May 2005 16:42:24 -0700

Exactly. Like your disclaimer states, the job of opening up a hard drive =
is
not for a novice. Like the small print in TV car commercials says: =
trained
driver on a closed track. Don't try this at home. Thanks for your =
follow-up.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Sarah Fox
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 8:47 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: WAIT! NO! - RE: When your day goes in the toilet

Hi Geoff,
=20
Your luck has apparently been worse than mine.  ;-)  Yes, when water =
with
any ionic content hits a board, you have gizillions of tiny "soft" =
shorts,
as you suggest, and that's usually enough to thoroughly confuse any =
logic
circuitry.  However, if there aren't any static sensitive circuits mixed =
in
with high voltage circuits, the device will usually only experience =
"brain
drain" and won't get zapped.
=20
About the hard drive, I remember the bad ol' days of hard drives -- back =
in
the MFM and RLL days  (Might Function Minimally and Run Life Limited).  =
often received a desperate phone call from a fellow grad student, =
wanting me
to render aid after a hard drive crash.  I would always tell the person =
shut down the hard drive RIGHT NOW and not to run it again until I could =
get
there.  The drive would frequently be making dragging and scraping =
noises.
Even so, I could still recover a large chunk of the data.  The drive was
only good for perhaps an hour or so of runtime after making noise, and =
the
failure was progressive.  I would always autopsy the hard drive =
afterwards
and find tons of debris in it.  Modern hard drives don't crash quite so
brilliantly as the old ones, but I remember recently replacing a 30GB =
drive
in a friends laptop.  There was not data loss, but the drive was =
definitely
making noise, hence my recommendation to back up the data NOW and to =
order
in a replacement drive.  She used the drive for another couple of days =
while
the new drive was on order.  It never went "down" but continued to make
dragging noises (perhaps from a munched head on an unused platter).
=20
The lesson from all of this is that a hard drive can indeed run with =
dust,
debris, etc. inside.  In fact there is an internal filter that catches
debris as it is generated during deterioration of the internal works.
However, when debris is afoot, the drive's life expectancy is VERY =
limited.
I'm not saying that there should ever be any reason to break the seal on =
hard drive.  But just the same, if it's necessary, it can be done.  Just =
not
for long -- just long enough to pull off the data.
=20
Having said this, my suggestion was merely to bleed distilled water in =
and
out of the hard drive through the filtered ventillation port to rinse =
out
the fluids from the inside.  I know this sounds awful, but the water can =
all
be boiled off at room temperature in a complete vacuum.  There are lots =
of
people with vacuum pumps, including automotive air conditioning service
companies and high school physics teachers.  ;-)  Alternatively, take =
the
top off of the platter housing, rinse, and dry.  Then run the thing =
open,
long enough to recover all the data.  Believe it or not, I've run dying =
hard
drives open before, just to see them work.  They could function that =
way.
This would probably be the approach I'd take if my HD took a dunk in the
toilet.
=20
But then again, THESE THINGS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY QUALIFIED, =
PROFESSIONAL
DATA RECOVERY PERSONNEL!!!  (My disclaimer.)
=20
Peace,
Sarah
=20