1884 Chickering "Brown" action regulation advice, please

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Wed, 25 May 2005 05:28:12 -0500

Hi Gordon,
Early in my career I restrung, repinned, shimmed & refinished soundboard,
did refurbishing on the action, etc.  This was for an elderly lady who owned
the piano life long.  Soon as I completed it she gave it to her grand
daughter who was a performance player.  I did not rebuild it for that
purpose.  She got rid of a near new Baldwin grand  to take the Chickering.
A few years later she was sorry she rebuilt the Chickering and gave it to
the grand daughter.  .  It made me look bad and I regretted going along with
rebuilding the Chickering for an elderly grandmother.  You never know what
purpose the piano will wind up in AFTER you rebuild it.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010