Self voicing hammers/work hardening

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 27 May 2005 23:56:01 +0200

On 27-mei-05, at 16:23, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> So Andre,
> =A0
> Just curious on the work hardening issue, what have you found with the=20=

> Wurzen felt hammers?=A0 I realize you=A0can pretty much put them where =
you=20
> want them in the first place, but have you found that the sound=20
> "matures?"=A0 Or is it just a case of always putting them back to the=20=

> same sound you got in the first place?

One of the unfortunate things is that most tuners/technicians don't=20
have a 'pounding' machine.
As a technician with a professional workshop, one definitely needs this=20=

kind of pounding machine "zum Einpauken".
If you don't have it, you're at a disadvantage, because any new hammer=20=

will go through dramatic changes in its first year, or so.
The change of hardening/compacting depends on the kind of felt and the=20=

kind of pianist(s).
This is not new to you, I know, but you asked about the Wurzen felt.
They of course follow the same pattern, except for the fact that they=20
are more resilient... they bounce back in a more efficient way.
Therein lies there strength, and quality.
It is not a woven felt, it is not a layered felt, it is felt felt,=20
meaning that the wool fibers have interlocked to the max.

Then we have the amount of pressure, applied to the felt layer around=20
the hammer moulding.
A lot of pressure means a lot of voicing trouble and too little=20
pressure too.
For that reason, the technician who orders hammers, should always ask=20
for these important data.
If you don't ask, you may be in trouble, and this actually happens so=20
often.
It is of course due to no-communication between the hammer maker and=20
the technician who both don't ask.

If one finally finds someone who makes decent hammers, the quality of=20
ones work may improve dramatically.
If you can rely on the hammers you just glued, you learn how to voice=20
those hammers after you have done a number of sets.
This happened to me, so I know that the hammers I install will behave=20
in a certain way.

If you don't have a pounding machine, the voicing work takes more time,=20=

which is uneconomical because you have to come back a number of times.
On the other hand, hammers change all the time, so actually a tuner=20
should be able to make quick voicing adjustments. That way, his or her=20=

work is done on a higher level of craft(wo)manship.
Because voicing is one of the most difficult aspects of our trade, most=20=

tuners do not have an accurate enough knowledge of both regulation and=20=

tuning, and that is the main reason why so many instruments are in a=20
more or less bad shape.
Even so called true professional sometimes have to pour water in the=20
wine because they don't have the time to do their work in the right=20
way, or the customer simply does not want to spend the extra dime.
Generally speaking, there is a constant battle going on between time=20
and money and experience.
That is why I chose for speed. I trained myself to do as much as=20
possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
Others are in a more glamorous position, and can spend twice the time=20
on the same instrument, as long as the customer pays.

So here we have a number of parameters which are of great influence in=20=

the determination of how a hammer will sound, or not.
A nicely voiced hammer will always get hard, and an over-voiced hammer=20=

too, only it will take much longer, unless a healthy hammer has been=20
killed.
In that case, we cam all wait till the end of time.

In other words :
It all depends on

1. the felt
2. the hammer maker
3. the instrument maker
4. the technician
5. the customer

> =A0
> Thanks,
> =A0
> Barbara Richmond
> =A0
> PS=A0 Do you have anything to share with me about 13-14 year old 8'=20
> Seiler pianos?=A0 :-)

They certainly do not have Wurzen felt and that makes a impressive=20
difference, as Ron Overs just stated.
They are also from a different time, during which instruments were=20
designed and built in a different way, with the use of different=20
materials.
Take Schimmel for instance...
Schimmels built in the last decades of the 20th century were not bad=20
instruments, but the Schimmels of today are quite different, and=20
actually much more beautiful.
In order to improve those older instruments, we have to go through=20
great lengths and alter their design and use better materials.
The Kawai Ron Overs spoke about is an excellent example. He changed a=20
number of very important things and probably turned the Kawai into a=20
jewel.
As far as that goes, I get a lot of inspirattion, and it drives me and=20=

my business partner to greater heights.
Thank you Ron!

EAR

friendly greetings