String breakage in Seiler pianos

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 27 May 2005 18:33:42 -0500

Ed:

That's pretty much been my experience too.  I have found temporary
relief by restringing the top two sections though.  Over winter break I
restrung the top two sections of both of our large recital instruments
(a D & a CFIIIS).  They both made it through the spring semester with no
breakage.

On a side note, I still think that string breaking is not a sign of bad
technique or brutal players.  The successful players will tend to press
hard to get as wide a dynamic range as possible and at times strings
will break.  It's not evil, it's getting the most out of the instrument.
As I've said before, their job is to get good reviews, our job is to
repair the damage.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of A440A@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 5:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: String breakage in Seiler pianos

Andre writes:

<< Strings usually break because of a malfunction in the action.  A
badly
regulated action causes a pianist to use excessive energy, and a
flattened and
hardened hammer makes it worse.  If you very carefully (and with love)
file the
worn hammers without

taking off too much, and you then make a beautiful regulation, you will

notice that less strings will break.

    This hasn't been my experience!  I think strings usually break
because of
metal fatigue, which is the result of repeatedly reaching their plastic
deformation limit.  This may be a problem with scaling, (% of elastic
limit), or
simply being hit very hard.   I haven't noticed the hammers playing too
much of
a part in it.  Cases in point:

    We have a Bechstein at the school that breaks a lot of strings.  The

pianist is a large feller and plays a lot of Rachmaninoff.  I originally
thought
it was because the hammers were hard.  After installing new hammers,
(Renner
Blues), careful regulation,  and voicing it down to a mellowness of some
degree,
the strings continued to break with uninterrupted frequency, (no pun
intended).  So, I restrung the top two sections.  The strings continued
to break at
the same rate!
    We have two new Yamaha C2's  in the same room.  One of them is
mellower
than the other, and gets more play.  It breaks strings with regularity
under
the hands of some of the more energetic students.
    We have a very bright Steinway D that is played constantly. I
restrung it
in 1984 with Mapes wire.  It has never broken a string (20 years and
several
sets of hammers).
    All in all, I think the breakage is more due to the use or the
scaling
than the hammer's or regulation's condition.  I have a number of other
examples
where strings in pianos with flat hammers don't break as often as some
of
their counterparts.
    One sure-fire way to break strings is to repeatedly play very fast
repetitions at FFF.  I think the impact occuring while the string is
still
oscillating from a previous blow may be the culprit, and I think hitting
them very hard
with the pedal down exacerbates the problem.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT