Piano Tuners' Association

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:26:48 -0500

> I think we can get an idea of what PTA's work life is like by their website.   Predominately on the first page is a definition of straight-strung vs. overstrung and overdampers vs. underdampers.   I don't think anywhere else in the world is that a front page item.

Looking at the "Travelling Tuners" page, it seems that none of the
male members willing to travel have first names, or they are all
named Mr? Seems cumbersome. Would a Mr Cuthbert, for instance, be
denied membership if there were already a Mr Cuthbert in the ranks
to avoid the confusion of differentiating between, or among them (in
the event that the petitioning Mr Cuthbert proved to be twins)? Or
would he/they just be denied listing on the "Travelling Tuners" page?

It seems vaguely reminiscent of the old chapter newsletters I have
from the 1960s in which members are referred to as "Brother". I
picture them sitting around the perimeter of a large empty room in
tall backed oak chairs, "Brothering" one another in huge purple hats
with gold tassels, and performing secret ritualistic chants so the
munchies can be unveiled as the echoes die away.

I'm glad that at least SOME things have changed.

Ron N