acceptable pin torque (grey market)

Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:53:47 +0100

Sounds like a candidate for CA
Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: J Patrick Draine [mailto:draine@comcast.net]
Sent: 02 September 2005 17:43
To: Pianotech
Subject: acceptable pin torque (grey market)

List,
I'm wondering what torque level you would consider "unacceptably low"
for a recently purchased used piano.
I've got a customer who unfortunately did business with the local
Armory Sale carpetbaggers. After finding the Strauss & Son (China
manufactured) upright unacceptable they "traded up" to a 30 year old
grey market Yamaha U3.
The soundboard sprouted cracks during the winter, and when I tuned it
last week (cracks invisible now at current high humidity levels)
found the tuning pin torque to be quite low. Yes, it "took" my tuning
but I'm very worried about its condition in the heating season.
I didn't have my torque wrench with me for measurements but
experience tells me that it will enter the "nearly torque-less" realm
in another winter or so.
I will go back to get exact measurements -- anyone have suggested
torque parameters for when one should urge a customer to seek further
redress on their "warrantied" purchase?

Patrick Draine