Can't Open Piano...Please Help

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:24:09 -0500

Whenever I can't seem to open a lid I've taken to instinctively running
my fingers over the back edge to feel for hinges. If I don't feel any
hinges I know it must be some sort of sliding lock arrangement. If I
feel hinges I pry harder.

On one piano it almost got me in trouble. It was a studio size, don't
remember the brand. But it had long screws coming up from below the key
bed all the way into the music desk. Take the screws out and the desk
and lid hinge up like a Baldwin 243 Hamilton. Seems like it was a Cable.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 4:59 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Can't Open Piano...Please Help

How funny Susan. Just yesterday I tuned a S&C spinet. It took me about
five minutes to figure it out. First time I had seen one like this. You
are right. Just tap with the heel of your hand down and back on the
front edge. Once the lid has slid back an inch or so it will lift right
off - some old uprights had an arrangement like this.

Terry Farrell