Smokin! was removing wrest pins from the piano

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:18:03 -0700

=20

Jeannie:

=20

This is a post I put on the list a year or two ago and outlines what I =
use.
The only downside of the McWhorter Industries Product (which I bought a
gallon of and will probably last me a lifetime) is that it thins with =
Xylene
which a lot of people don't like to use.  I put a small amount in an =
empty
plastic film canister which I can seal with a cap if I don't use it all. =
 It
only takes a few drops of Xylene to thin it in that quantity to the
consistency of runny hot hide glue.  Set the canister in a tray of some =
type
so that if it tips over it doesn't get all over the place.  The Trefz =
PDF
thins with Mineral Spirits, I think.  A high grade varnish would =
probably
work as well. =20

=20

For those who followed the PDF thread awhile back and are interested in =
just
what it is and how you might get it, the following information may be of =
use
and is a supplement to the information already provided by Joe Garrett.

=20

Trefz Pin Driving Fluid is, apparently, a phenolic resin without the
addition of any of the typical dryers (solvents) added by various
manufacturers to create their own products.  In other words, it is the =
raw
material from which certain types of varnishes are made.  Rodda paint in
Oregon carries such a product known as 1067-S1.  If you live in Oregon =
or
Washington you can buy the product from a Rodda Paint dealer for about
$15.00 per gallon. =20

=20

Rodda Paint gets the product from a company called McWhorter =
Technologies,
Inc., in Carpentersville, IL 60110, 1-888-CALL-MWT.  It is known as =
H354B,
Product code 207 1196, Product Name Duramac 207-1196.

=20

If you contact McWhorter, you might find out which companies in your =
area
purchase the raw material for production and buy it before they add =
their
own formula of solvents. =20

=20

FYI  Schaff still sells Trefz Pin Driving Fluid in 4oz bottles.  They do =
not
list it in their catalogue, but it is available upon request.

=20

David Love

=20

David Love