restringing Michael G's S&S 'A'

Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:40:05 +0100

Hello List and David Ilvedson who said:
> would imagine if they are coming out warm to the touch you don't
>have a  scorching problem   But really, what is the advantage of doing it
>so slowly?
It's my very own S&S
>Are you billing by the hour?
NO! - Though I would be doing so having first evaluated the time required.
>If not, you will obviously get more $ per hour by picking it up a pit.
>As far stringing, it is slow...you don't turn in your tuning pins?
No. I have a home made tool (see attachment) for making the coil on the new
wrest pin then thumping it in (jack under pin block of course!) with a wrest
pin punch to the side of which I have attached a cocktail stick (tooth pick
type of thingy, but round instead of flat) in order to get the pins in to
the same depth.
>In the Yamaha factory they have machines that drill every tuning pin hole
>in one shot....less heat from using the same bit over and over.   And one
>that punches the tuning pins in one shot to the desired depth.
AND, or so I am led to believe, a machine that brings them all up to tension
at the same time!!! Or have I been misled?
Right now I have just brought the piano up another semi-tone thus making it
now a tone below pitch. I'm doing a semi-tone per day using my "Quadrant
Pitch Raise Method" - which method ensures the tension is spread evenly
throughout the plate at all times. (I'm being hyper-careful!) What a noise
it makes since there are no dampers yet!
I'm going to put a question about "Listing Cloth" on the List in a mo'.
Finally.... I hope this gets past the moderator as it appears I am still
sending gobbldegook after all my postings - though I cannot see it in my
"sent" box!!
Regards from a beautiful sunny day in The Village
Michael G.(UK)
Download Photoshop(R) Album 2.0 Starter Edition free to create your own
photo slideshows!
http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: l1010717.jpg