Censors??? - PTG-L?? The irony aboundeth

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:40:57 -0400

Ric -

I am not familiar with any recent censorship issues, nor was I aware, until
now, of a greater level of human oversight.  I sympathize with the concerns
articulated in this and your previous post, as well as your instinct that
this discussion requires an alternative forum, and yet, I'm not sure that
PTG-L is it.  Pianotech has a bit of its own identity dilemma, paralleling
somewhat that of PTG.  It started its life as a primordial CAUT, opened up
to technicians and beyond.  It was not defined by the location of its
server.  It was a guest at many, the most recent of which has been
PTG.  Sort of a (theoretically) ecumenical service conducted within the PTG
sanctuary.  Anyway, it does seem ironic that we would choose to resort to a
truly official vehicle of the PTG, that is, ptg-l, in order to debate the
policies of a site, presumably independent of both that list AND its
parent.  It would seem to compound your concerns about liability
exposure.  It seems that, before we can debate issues of regulation
anywhere, the matter of list-ownership, or  at least, list-citizenship,
needs to be clarified.  Maybe we need to form a list government :) First we
need to revolt (or is it rebel? or secede?).  What happens next?  Ah yes, a
constitution.

Regards -
David Skolnik