Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

Ross White jrwhiteltd@msn.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:36:44 -0700

If you really spun them out, they would be too hot to touch.  There =
might also be wisps of smoke.  If the old pins were warm but not hot, =
perhaps they were loose.  Did any wood stick to the old pins; sometimes =
little bits of wood will stick to the pins.  Boy Scouts start fires by =
this kind of procedure, wood on wood.  Friction produces heat.  How long =
does it take you to remove a set of pins with a Milwaukee drill.  Takes =
me a couple of hours to do it by hand; and, it's not that hard. =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Bondi<mailto:phil@philbondi.com>=20
  To: Pianotech<mailto:pianotech@ptg.org>=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

  Ross White wrote:

  > If you spin tuning pins out, you're going to scorch the holes in the =

  > block.  You don't want that.

  Ross, can you offer more explanation on this? The reason I ask is=20
  because I just got done 'spinning' , with a hi torque-lo RPM Milwaukee =

  drill, the treble section of a 100 year old S&S 0, and the pins were=20
  warm to the touch..not hot.

  I don't know for sure, but my gut tells me that I did not scorch the=20
  holes. I would be interested to hear more about your personal =
experience=20
  with this..or from anyone else for that matter since I have the rest =
of=20
  the block to do yet.

  -Phil Bondi(Fl)