Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 17:08:19 -0700

Tracey, our 110 lb., 5' 4" shop person, pulls the whole set in about 15 to 20
minutes (including a break to rest her arms) with our trusty old Milwaukee. The
pin holes show no visible damage. There is no smoke. And the pins, while
suitably warm, are not too hot to pick up.

We may even give her a break and get her an impact wrench.

(Of course, we always replace the pinblocks anyway so the condition of the
original block really doesn't matter.)

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ross White
Sent: September 08, 2005 4:37 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

If you really spun them out, they would be too hot to touch.  There might also
be wisps of smoke.  If the old pins were warm but not hot, perhaps they were
loose.  Did any wood stick to the old pins; sometimes little bits of wood will
stick to the pins.  Boy Scouts start fires by this kind of procedure, wood on
wood.  Friction produces heat.  How long does it take you to remove a set of
pins with a Milwaukee drill.  Takes me a couple of hours to do it by hand; and,
it's not that hard.