President's Message

Ric Thompson ric1952@msn.com
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:20:49 -0700

AMEN..........................
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ric Brekne<mailto:ricbrek@broadpark.no>=20
  To: pianotech<mailto:pianotech@ptg.org>=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:49 PM
  Subject: President's Message

  Kent Swafford writes:

   I won't alter a tuning to its detriment =20
  to please a customer; customers should be willing to play my tuning =20
  and give it a chance. Maybe they will like it after a full tryout. =20
  The point is if I immediately return to a piano as the result of a =20
  callback, when I get there we may still disagree about whether the =20
  tuning is good. An optimist would say I might turn the situation =20
  around by showing good faith and willingness to serve by returning. A  =

  cynic might say, the customer will end up trying somebody different =20
  anyway, so an immediate return is pointless.

  -------------------

  I gotta admit... this snip is even more disturbing then the first =
post.=20

  First let me say that a customer has a perfect write to their=20
  preferences. If one is dealing with someone who has some real sense of =

  what they want... tuning wise or soundboard wise or whatever wise...=20
  then its our job to attempt to provide that for them.  If we as a tech =

  do not wish to provide that service for any particular instance then=20
  fine... fair enough... leave it and go.  An instance of this is=20
  historical temperaments... but it just a well applies to a stretch=20
  preference, or even something as specific as a single note.  Our only=20
  task in such instance is to deem whether or not the customer is =
serious=20
  minded or not.

  I have an older lady that for whatever reasons likes the highest =
section=20
  of the treble tuned very high.  Its quite strange really, starts at =
E7. =20
  All of a sudden her <<tuning curve>> steepens radically.. way off the=20
  chart.  But thats what she likes.... thats what gives her =
satisfaction. =20
  (ETD's are great for finding out this kind of thing).  Clear cut...=20
  <<detrimental>> (according to my tastes) or not... who the heck am I =
to=20
  impose upon this lady my definition of what sounds right ?

  no no no no no....  People have a right to like what they like, be it=20
  historical temperments, low basses, high trebles, old flatened and=20
  thined out soundboards, this make or that.  We have no rights =
whatsoever=20
  in defining to the world about us what others should or should not=20
  appreciate.  If a customer is sincere in there desires.. then we =
should=20
  be sincere in our willingness to help provide those.

  JMT
  RicB