Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:38:26 -0500

I opt for the checks.  I start at F3 and tune to the top of the piano
using a single mute.  This allows me to check 3rds as soon as I have
tuned 5 notes and 4ths 5ths and other intervals soon after.  You don't
have to strip mute to do this.  After I've tuned to the top I go back to
E3 and tune down checking as I go.  Actually by the time I get to
wrapped strings I turn off TuneLab and tune aurally to A0. =20

=20

Tuning from A0 up requires absolute faith in your ETD of choice because
there's no way to check anything until you're half way through.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Finley
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:24 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

=20

Until now I have been performing the FAC stretch calculation/analysis
using the SAT III on the piano and then began tuning chromatically from
A0 upwards, tuning the single string unisons, and then the two and three
string unisons as I go along, using rubber mutes. I am wondering whether
it would be better to strip mute the piano, tune all the single strings,
perform checks on the intervals and octaves, and then go back and tune
all the unisons. =20

=20

What would you advise that would produce the best, most accurate and
fastest result? Thank you for your help.=20

=20

Robert Finley