President's message

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 7:48:31 -0700

Ric,

>As far as the issue itself is concerned.  I would submit that if any
>given technician is experiencing more then a very very occasional
>callback that the techncian should consider the possibility that

>    a: one perhaps has a need to actually improve ones tuning /
>    technical skills
>    b: one perhaps should take a look at the bottom level quality of
>    instruments one accepts to work on.

Good points and the b: should go up on my computer so I see it when I'm talking with Mr. Winter spinet....

>I would also submit that the number of callbacks a professional should
>experience should be so low that none of this is worth worrying about to
>begin with.

Agreed...

>That said, when a call back d
>oes pop up, I believe a  "better system" is
>to endeavour to turn the situation into a positive experience for both
>myself and the customer. If you have first accepted the job, then give
>the customer the benifit of the doubt. And yes. I do indeed feel the
>effort is << worth it >>. Every time.

I have to admit, if the piano/client is worth keeping I would probably drop by again when in the neighborhood...once.
I have a customer with a nice old Steinway grand that began calling me back to touch up a unison after his bi-annual service.  I did go the first time but let him know the next callback that I would have to start charging him $200 for piano service, knowing I'd be coming back.   He doesn't call me back anymore but I still do the bi-annual service.

>I have full understanding and sympathy for those who read arrogance and
>defensiveness into the Presidents column and comments.  And I have to
>figure that whether one agrees or not, one should be able to acknowledge
>that very many will, both in and outside the PTG.

I am still waiting for the Journal to arrive so I can read for myself....;-[