Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 8:00:45 -0700

I'm still the dinosaur, I guess.   I don't use any over pull during pit=
ch raises...and a string will still break on occasion.   I can't imagin=
e bringing a piano from -100 cents to +25 cents without serious string =
breaking...
David I.

Original message
From: "Paul McCloud"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

I agree with Joe Goss.  I also measure A2 and divide by 4, and add the =
result.  I tune all the strings of the bass with this.  With the except=
ion of the last 2 bass notes on the tenor side, everything gets extreme=
ly close.  I strip it off to do this, pulling in the unisons afterwards=
.
    In the plain wires, I measure the low tenor notes and divide by 3. =
 I do string by string with unisons here up to the top.
    However, I have two things I do to modify my method.
    First, I subtract a cent from the number I get when I divide by thr=
ee.  I.e., if I'm 27 cents flat, I divide by three and add 8, not 9.  I=
f I don't do this, it gets too sharp here.
    Second, I only remeasure once in the tenor section.  If I remeasure=
 more than this, I get too sharp when I'm done.  I just wait until I ge=
t past the break into the treble.  Then I simply divide by 3 again and =
leave it at that.
    My method requires that I try to be very accurate in my first pass.=
  I spend much more time in the first pass than the final pass.  The fi=
nal pass I strip it off and tune only the center string, bottom to top,=
 then unisons as I pull the strip out.
    My way, FWIW.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego