Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:40:51 -0700

I agree with Joe Goss.  I also measure A2 and divide by 4, and add the result.  I tune all the strings of the bass with this.  With the exception of the last 2 bass notes on the tenor side, everything gets extremely close.  I strip it off to do this, pulling in the unisons afterwards.
    In the plain wires, I measure the low tenor notes and divide by 3.  I do string by string with unisons here up to the top.
    However, I have two things I do to modify my method.
    First, I subtract a cent from the number I get when I divide by three.  I.e., if I'm 27 cents flat, I divide by three and add 8, not 9.  If I don't do this, it gets too sharp here.
    Second, I only remeasure once in the tenor section.  If I remeasure more than this, I get too sharp when I'm done.  I just wait until I get past the break into the treble.  Then I simply divide by 3 again and leave it at that.
    My method requires that I try to be very accurate in my first pass.  I spend much more time in the first pass than the final pass.  The final pass I strip it off and tune only the center string, bottom to top, then unisons as I pull the strip out.
    My way, FWIW.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe And Penny Goss
To: Pianotech
Sent: 09/12/2005 7:19:20 AM
Subject: Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Hi David,
For me also a good way to check and modify the FAC readings. Aural and machine combined.
This of course on a piano that is 10 or less off the 440.
For pitch raises I do the FAC only then measure A2. If  it measures say 50 C I enter 25 C and tune from A0 to the first plane wire strings and then go with the 25% raise rewseting at C5
If a larger than 100C  raise is necessary it is always at least two raises then fine tune.
I am always astounded at thework that the III can do for me. Almost like having an airconditioned cab on a hot combine.
Hammer technique I believe to be a part of the varing results that techs get.
Quick and fast is what seems to get the results that I achieve.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com