Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:34:42 -0700

  Subject: Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

  I'm still the dinosaur, I guess.   I don't use any over pull during =
pitch raises...and a string will still break on occasion.   I can't =
imagine bringing a piano from -100 cents to +25 cents without serious =
string breaking...

  David I.

  David,

      That's the trouble with imagination, It occasionally has no =
connection to reality.I recently imagined myself playing  for the Red =
Sox lacing a double up the gap off the Yanks lanky right hander Phil =
Bondi--but I digress---

     IMHO  string breakage will occur when it will occur. Carefully =
bringing the tension just up to pitch and watching it fall back as you =
tenderly pull up the next string will result in no more string breakage =
than a calculated , fast as possible anticipated drop -overpull pitch =
raise.

      A string will break when it=20

      hangs up due to friction ( Protek first) or as the wire tries to =
bend around the tuning pin.

      This  does not tend to only happen above standard pitch, but in my =
experience before the string is at pitch.

      I'm no innovator here. This method was taught to me at convention =
30 years ago by the Coleman -Defebaugh team

      Time doesn't allow me to go into all the details of this method =
now, but I believe Mr. Coleman has instructional materials on his web =
site.

      Best wishes=20

      Tom --  Jerk-em-up quick--  Driscoll