ETDs vs exam and master tunings

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:02:57 +0100

Hello Dave R and Listers
I have been following this thread with great interest because it seems I was
right all along - if Dave Renauds findings are any judge - and I think they
are. His items 4. and 4.? Are most revealing. I too am an aural tuner
although I do use an ETD purely to hasten the setting of the bearings. Even
so, the bearings are not set without regard to the aural response. I listen
very carefully to the results I am getting in the bearing section. My ETD is
a TLS Tuning Set CTS-5 made by Marc Vogel in Germany. It has many
temperaments on board. Its main attribute is the ability to very finely
adjust its response to within 0.01 cents. Now that's close, I'd say. Now I
believe that, given A=440, no two pianos exhibit exactly the same pitch for
any other given note. This must be due to the fact no two pianos are
identical in every respect. This is why I take all my ETD says with a "pinch
of salt". I am not satisfied with just 8ves, M4's and M5's, I go the whole
hog of M3's, M10's, M15's and even M18's. It is surprising how an
irregularity stands out when these intervals are played together
chromatically. Particularly so in the change from "metals" to "covered"
strings and at the Tenor-to-Bass  break. It has been a source of pure
amazement to me that so much of the tuning threads on the List have been as
a direct result of using nothing but Verituners and the like. I would like
to hazard that most of you would be, as Dave Renaud says in his post below:
1) I am on a concert stage tuning a D and the unit
> crashes.(once in 3 years)Whatcha goin t do lad without
> little egor yelln instructions at ya, concerts in 1
> hour.
So I am extremely sympathetic to those who, like the farmers who "do it in
wellies", do it by ear.
When it comes to "pitch raise" or "pitch lowering" then do the ETD's of this
world truly enter into their own domain. They read with absolutely no
reference to anything but their internal settings. There's absolutely no
point using the "just tuned strings" in pitch changing. You must use an
outside reference and this is the ETD. Anyone who tunes a guitar or other
string instrument will know that a change in pitch on one string will have
an immediate effect on the adjacent strings. It is also very important to
use a method whereby the change of tension is seen equally across the plate.

There is so much talk, amongst those who are not involved in actual tuning,
about the "mystery" in setting the bearings and tuning in general. There is
no mystery though, it is all based on firm fact and very strict aural
training.
My 30+ years of aural tuning bear me out.
Regards from my 2p's worth in The Village
Michael G.(UK)