ETDs vs exam and master tunings

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:47:23 -0500

Regarding Verituner requiring more than one pass to refine its calculations:
When a piano is way below/above the desired pitch the calculated
stretch does not always come out right.  I always figure two passes
for a pitch-correction.  The close-to-pitch, fine-tuning pass is the
one where things come out right for me.  With over-pulls it is hard
to test the stretch anyway, at least it is until you have gone past
several notes.  It is interesting to measure and see that dimple you
are pushing across the sound-board when you re-tension a piano.

I chose the Verituner because I distrusted calculated stretch
profiles, especially on marginal instruments.  I started using a
Peterson 490ST and as I developed my ear and aural tests I had begun
to tweak the stretch profiles as I went.  Eventually I decided to get
an instrument with better tuning abilities and especially the ability
to measure tunings and to grade them.  Now I can practice the aural
test and grade my efforts.  It has been an eye opener.

On the Verituner you can choose your desired degree of stretch and
tweak the "weighting" too.  The note's own partials are used to fit
it into the desired stretch.  Scaling breaks are well accommodated.
I've argued with the machine's compromises several times only to
return to it aurally.

What I don't like: 	Size.
			It won't let me calculate over-pull from more than ~40 cents
away.  (You can change the base pitch you tune to.)
			The auto-note function doesn't work well on large
pitch-corrections, doesn't have a foot pedal like the Peterson.

Andrew