ETDs vs exam and master tunings

Robert Scott robert.scott@tunelab-world.com
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:32:27 -0400

Alan Barnard asked:

> I don't know how to correct/change the calculated curve based on aural
> tweaks and store it for later use. Is there a simple explanation for
> doing that? I use Tunelab Pocket.

Yes, here's how.  After tuning a note aurally, lock onto that note with TuneLab and transfer the offset that was needed to do the locking into the Custom Stretch for that note.  That will store the correction for that single note only.  Then if you want to correct the whole tuning curve to match that note, in the tuning curve adjuster screen, make sure "Freeze Custom Offsets" is checked in the Edit menu.  Now find the red marker on the tuning curve graph that represents the Custom Stretch that you just adjusted for that one note.  Use the adjuster arrows, perhaps by turning off the "Auto-A0-C8" option, and move the tuning curve until it overlays the red marker.  You have now made the tuning curve match your aural correction.  If you use this method, it would be best to have several notes with Custom Offsets so that these notes can serve as "anchors" to constrain the entire tuning curve.  If  you have only one red mark on the graph, then you will have too many degrees of free!
 dom in
making the adjustment, without any clear guide as to which of the many various adjustments is correct overall.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties (TuneLab)