O.T. - "Do Not Call List"/US Gov.

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:36:13 -0400

On Sep 13, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Matthew Todd wrote:

> Does it cost anything for that service?

No, but it takes several weeks before the "do not call" command
works. Plus, I don't think it affects folks phoning in-state, and has
no affect on charities calling for donations etc.

> I actually just switched telephone numbers for that very reason.  I
> usually tell the person that we are having a family crisis.  My
> mother-in-law just passed on, and sound very upset and start
> crying, then they go away.

I prefer to turn the conversation to "selling" them a piano tuning,
after the first words out of my mouth are "Thank you for calling
Draine Piano Service!!" As they can be pretty stubborn (although the
smart ones hang up immediately) I persist in insisting that the only
reason they would have dialed this number is to have piano
revitalized. Eventually they give up.
On the other hand, if they're calling our residential phone, and are
reasonably pleasant, I quickly say "no thank you -- have a great
day!" and hang up.

Patrick Draine