Michael G's New precision felt and cloth cutting jig

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:02:13 EDT

Hi Michael,
You really do deserve full marks for enthusiasm and application, but  I
honestly  do think that your are "taking coals to Newcastle"   with this felt
cutting business.  In most good workshops and  apprentice training the cutting of
cloth and felt in straight lines with a basic  straightedge is a fundamental
requirement for embarking on good quality  piano work.  Over the years new tools
and materials have come along which  can make some jobs easier.  I think that
the Spurlock cutting block  for angled cuts on damper felt is super, but for
basic cutting of cloth and and  thin felt, the thin steel straightedge with
sandpaper on one side is so easy and  straightforward.  As I said in an earlier
post I personally like to use  scalpels for some of this fine cutting.  Also
with some damper felt  applications, straightedge trimming of the backing
material to the  white felt itself gives you a far better finish than trying to
replicate  the width of the backing to the damper felt.

Ric