Bridle strap replacing

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:18:32 +0100

Hello Folks, David I and Richard G

The photos show some of the jigs I have made over the years to hold the
vertical hammer assembly or be able to cut to a specific length the tapes
(or bridle straps)to glue thereon.
Piccy 1. shows the jig with an adjustable stop to go against the top of the
catcher block (or balance hammer) This enables you to accurately measure the
length of the old tape before cutting it off. Notice the centre pin in place
of the bridle wire.
Piccy 2. is a spring-making jig for butt springs etc.
Piccy 3. is another multi-tape cutting block - I precut the whole lot before
gluing them in place on the back of the prepared balance hammer (or catcher
block)
I once had to do this to a Bluthner upright where the tapes had been
replaced at the Butt and were peeling off.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
From: Richard Gullion [mailto:pianoguy@rogers.com]
Sent: 20 September 2005 00:29
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: bridle straps

Do you remove the hammers, and clamp the tapes, or just hold for a few
seconds, in place. I get a lot of these, and am looking for better ways.

Stephen Grattan <lostchordclinic@ameritech.net> wrote:
Hi,

We glue them to the dowel right at the butt with Titebond or hot hide glue.
About 1/4" area of glue, press the tape in and let it dry well.  We probably
do 2500 bridle tapes a year this way with very few failures.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic

David Ilvedson <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Lists,

I going to install bridle straps on a Steinway upright. No catcher hole for
cork so I'm using the plain bridle straps. Schaff informed me that the tacks
are not available anymore. How do you guys and gals attach the bridle straps
to the catcher dowel?

David I.

Download Photoshop(R) Album 2.0 Starter Edition free to create your own
photo slideshows!
http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: l1010767.jpg