B 458198, string deflections

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:50:16 -0500

On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> The bridge will probably be OK, especially as that angle self
> corrects, but the net side bearing is what I'd be concerned about.
> The strings are trying to pull the bridge left. I'd be looking for
> concave crown and a killer killer octave pretty quickly, maybe as
> soon as a couple of months if the climate control lets the RH get
> below 35%.

Fascinating. The piano has a dual-tank Dampp-Chaser with undercover.
It really hadn't occurred to me that this alignment might cause
soundboard problems. I was just worried about the bridge, still am,
and have seen this configuration on many S&S instruments. I guess
I'll be re-checking the crown as I service the DC over time.

Thanks.

> Did the restring include lowering the plate?

No.