CA Lesson learned.....

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:23:34 +0100

Hello Money Minting Dean and Y=92all

Remember that terrible upright with the pins that went all the way =
through?
It took 3 and-a-bit hours to dismantle that =93piano=94 CA the pins, =
re-assemble
it, stand it up and tune it. For all that I charged a miserable =A3130. =
Saved
them buying a new piano though! But it was the challenge=85=85.. :-)

Regards from a sunny Saturday in The Village

Michael G.(UK)

=20

  _____ =20

From: Dean May [mailto:deanmay@pianorebuilders.com]=20
Sent: 23 September 2005 20:35
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Lesson learned.....

=20

Susan wrote: I'm sure you are, and no doubt you are sincere. However, a =
$250
job=20
which takes 30 minutes? So, do you usually charge $486 an hour? =
(allowing=20
for the $7 cost of materials) Do you consider this a good use of your=20
customer's money?

=20

I spend 15 minutes or so selling the job, so really I=92m only making =
$330/hr.
assuming I get no callbacks and have to spend no additional time nursing =
it
through the 8 year warranty. But really I=92d like to get it up in the
neighborhood of what a proctologist makes which is about $300/minute.=20

=20

Consider the risk I am taking by extending the warranty. Consider the =
cost
to me that it took to develop the expertise to do this job. Consider how
much money I am saving the customer. Consider I am taking an essentially
worthless piano and breathing new life into it. Consider that I am =
buying
peace of mind for my customer for another 8 years. Consider that =
everyone of
these jobs that I=92ve sold my customers have been very happy to pay =
such an
amount for all of those benefits. I feel pretty good about it. 8-)

=20

Pushing 50 harder every day and still not rich (by this world=92s =
goods),

=20

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359