Chinese Pianos

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 7:59:47 -0700

Yep, good points...how is Charles Walter pianos doing in sales?   I hav=
e only seen a few in the Bay Area...
David I.

Original message
From: "Tom Servinsky"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Chinese Pianos

Dave,
Very well put.
Tom Servinsky
----- Original Message -----
From: Piannaman@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 1:52 AM

While I'm not a big fan of Chinese pianos in general, they are FAR bett=
er than most of the low end pianos produced in the US in the 70s, 80s a=
nd 90s.  Let's see, would I rather work on a Pearl River or an Andrew K=
ohler spinet.? Or an American made Kohler and Campbell piano of that er=
a?

We used to have a few good mid-range pianos built in the US.  Sohmers a=
nd Everetts were around and were decent little pianos when I first star=
ted in this business, and not dreadfully expensive.  As near as I can t=
ell, Charles Walter is perhaps the only one that fills that bill, and t=
hey are definitely at the high end of mid-range.

Many of these shiny pianos with disc players are purchased by cheap peo=
ple.  By that, I mean people who could afford a Steingraber, but choose=
 to buy little Jenny a "beginner's piano," because it is so pretty and =
a real deal.  People who think nothing of spending 60 grand on an SUV a=
nd all that money to fill it with gas, but who don't consider music "se=
rious" enough to spend real money on.

For some people, though, even a low-end Chinese studio piano is stretch=
ing the budget to the hilt.  Will I refuse to work on that piano?  No, =
because I see that the people are serious about having their child lear=
n music.

Let's face it:  manufacturing has gone overseas, and as Ed says, we hav=
e asked for it.  Who on this list has a computer that wasn't made in Ch=
ina?  Who isn't astounded at how inexpensive all of these electronics g=
oods are these days?  Everyone likes cheap stuff.  But it has its cost =
in human terms, as Ed pointed out.

The trouble is, when jobs are hard to come buy, even cheap stuff seems =
expensive.

ON the griddle,

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 9/29/2005 9:11:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@ao=