felt mutes -- was RE: Working while tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:40:38 -0500

Whereas I've never tried a large rubber wedge, I have tried the regular =
rubber mutes in the past that I use on uprights. On grands, I find that =
the felt mutes are easier to insert, are very stable (stay where you put =
them), and mute exceptionally well. You can also place them fairly =
loosely in place and still mute well - I always wondered how jamming =
those rubber mutes in between strings might be affecting the pitch of a =
string that was already tuned.

They just seem to work better to me.

And besides, they don't make that screeching noise that a rubber mute =
can sometimes make!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Any particular reason you prefer the felt mutes to rubber mutes?=20
  =20

  John Formsma

-----

  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf Of Farrell

  Below is a picture of the assortment of felt wedge mutes I use for =
tuning grand pianos. I get them from Pianotek. The two on the right come =
as one big wide one and I cut it in half. Also pictured is my key =
whacker (I mean gently but firm key depressor). (Hey, those old Yamaha =
hammers are good for something!)

  =20

  I also use the mute on the lower left for wound strings in verticals.

  =20

  Terry Farrell

  =20