felt mutes -- was RE: Working while tuning

pianotune05@comcast.net pianotune05@comcast.net
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:14:03 +0000

HI John,
I think Virgil Smith is also vision impaired I'm told.  I was taught this because it was takig me quite a bit of time to insert that stupid felt. :)  My instructor and I met on Mondays for nine weeks for a couple of hours, one day he gave me the felt and said mute the piano. It took me more than a half hour to try and get the loops right etc.  One day he said that he wanted to teach me a new method, and here we are, cracking unisons.  I have extra cloth here to make a neck tie. :)  It's a real pain puttin th e felt between strings expecially in the bss and treble sections.  Hammers go thunk thunk thunk, or the notes ring on too much to hear anything.  One rubber mute and a tuning lever, and I'm working. no poking strings with a screw driver, trying to get the felt between fat strings and once getting them in the note goes thunk thunk thunk.  I thought about revisiting felt stripping again, but icracking unisons is like being married.  Why would I want to be single again.  It's like fatherhood, why would I want to not be a daddy. Once I've tasted the ease of tuning with a rubber mute, eas as in less aggrevation , why wo uld I want to go back to bending over a piano getting a back ache trying to put that stupid felt in.:)  Sorry for the rant. ;)]
Marshall
From: "John Formsma" <john@formsmapiano.com>

It’s under action cloth.

May I suggest that since you’re a beginning tuner, you might leave off “cracking the unisons” for a while until you’re certain of some other things like stability, great unisons, and good octaves? If you don’t have these, I wouldn’t focus on cracking unisons, although it does work well once you’ve established the primary skills. It’s like learning to crawl before walking. But, I’m not vision impaired, and it might indeed work well for you. Just a friendly suggestion.

John Formsma