prospecting for customers from an old pro

ronmay_rpt@bellsouth.net ronmay_rpt@bellsouth.net
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:59:37 -0500

OK Marshall and list

Now you are in my ball park from another life.

Over my past many years I've done a number of things and 2nd only to being one of the last students of Braid White one of my biggest assets in this business has been sales and prospecting skills learned in several sales positions.  The best being the Life Insurance Industry and a lot of training from a fellow every good salesman knows by the name of Dale Carnagie. This training has helped  me in building two very good and successful piano service businesses. One in Columbus, OH and now again in Vero Beach,FL and continues to help me everyday in this business.

First of all the best sourse of business be it piano tuning or selling cookies is that of a third party influence. Otherwise known as a referral. Marshall you should never leave anyone's home without the name of several of your customers friends that own pianos. "Mrs. Jones, I am just beginning my piano tuning business and I need your help, Can you give me the names of a couple of people you know that own pianos and may need them tuned"  Once you get them it is simple to call or send a card to the referral and say "I tuned your friend Joe's piano and he suggested I contact you"
When you get good enough to take care of Piano Teachers, ASK FOR a referral to their students and give them a bunch of cards. IF YOU DON'T ASK-YOU PROBABLY WON'T RECEIVE

Second  nothing takes the place of a cold call.  As you are driving down the street and pass a church or private school, Walk in the door with your card in hand. Ask for who ever is in charge of the music department or pianos tell them what you do and ASK FOR THEIR BUSINESS.  I guarantee you that no other technician has done that.

Third make up a simple post card with your advertisement on it and mail it to all the churches, nightclubs schools, etc.

Fourth  Take care of your customer like they are GOLD because they are.

If you do these things, you will be further business wise in 1 year than most will be in 5.
That is one reason that 20% of the salesforce sells 80% of the merchandise.

Fifth:  Get Dale Carnagie's book  "How to win friends and influence people and practice what it says.

Sixth:  Do what my kindergarten Sunday School Teacher taught me to do with my first Bible lesson:
             "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" If you are running late for an
              appointment, call them etc. etc. etc.

Good Luck Marshall

Ron May, RPT
Vero Beach